Well, here it is...August's drum cover- 'Bold as Love' by John Mayer (originally written by Jimi Hendrix). I didn't nail every single fill, but I got as close as I could after learning it over a period of a few weeks. I would really appreciate your feedback, positive or negative. Any suggestions, tips, or ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
The drummer who recorded on this song is Steve Jordan. I'm sure many of you musicians are familiar with him. I've just recently discovered him and love his style. In a video on YouTube, Steve states, "Simplicity is not stupidity. Just because something sounds simple or is easy to play, in your mind, doesn't mean that it's dumb." His philosophy of drumming is very similar to mine. As a church/worship drummer, I've learned that less is more. You don't need to lay down four bar sixteenth note fills to be a good drummer. Many times I get worried that I'm not good enough because I don't have the sickest beats or wild fills, so it's very satisfying to hear a professional drummer say that simplicity is important.
P.S. Sorry about the 'Evaluation Copy' annoyingly displayed across the screen. I need to purchase a video conversion application in order to get rid of it. I'm using a trial version which explains the text. Bear with me, please!

10 comments:
nailed it. your awesome.
great job tara! you 'play the song' really well (as usual and as opposed to playing a beat) i have 1 constructive criticism: (only cause you asked): you play the song well, but are you feeling the song? the real appeal to steve jordan is his groove is a mile deep. you seem intent on playing every hit the same, but miss the feeling in it sometimes. feel his groove and make it your own. that's something that will improve every song you play.
you did a great job nailing the fills and keeping w/ the tempo. keep it up!!!
You're definitely right Jason. I guess I was just so focused on trying to get it right that I wasn't really feeling it. I get kind of tense when the camera is rolling.
I really appreciate your feedback and will definitely take the advice to heart. I'm kind of new to his style so I guess this is just kind of a test run. I'm looking forward to studying his style further. Thanks a lot!
Tara you are one hip hip lady
you rock! :)
I love the simplicity of Steve Jordan, as well... he is able to make a straight beat (i.e. Vultures) sound epic and professional.
I think it was pretty spot on :). I do think you would benefit from just jamming with some people, because going along with what Shafer said, you've got to feel as well as you play (and you play really well). I think the only way to overcome "playing the song" and begin to create your own style is to use what you've learned and apply it to free form or expository jam sessions.
Oh, and maybe it was just the doubling of the drums, but during the breakdown the kick seemed a bit muddy and the cymbals a bit ringy. At least, that is what I would say if I were nitpicking. :-P
OH MY GOSH Tara! can I have you autograph!!?? hahah jk jk awesome as always :) I miss playing with you :(
-B
Wow- I truly enjoyed watching this. I'm a recovered drummer- just sold my set...ouch. John mayor rocks. Just found your blog- thanks for the inspiration.
Sounds spot on. You should really listen to the drumming from the band further seems forever... Especially the moon is down album. I think he is the most intresting drummer around.
tara! this was so awesome! i seem to have forgotten how much i love that you are a lady drummer!!! haha definitely warmed my heart.. i was smiling the whole time :)
Post a Comment