The organization for week 2 of my attempt to raise awareness and knowledge of several charity organizations, is called Soldier's Angels.
Soldier's Angels is a non profit organization that supports every branch of the United States Military through special projects that provide aid and comfort to the men and women serving our country. There are over 30 different teams, or projects, in the Soldier's Angels programs, which means there are several ways for you and I to get involved. Each one of them is personal and make a world of a difference to these people. I will list a few examples of the projects we can get involved in: (each of these are listed on the home page with a link on what it is and how to get involved)
Angel Bakers: If you love to bake, here's a good one for you. As an 'Angel Baker,' you commit to baking homemade goodies for a soldier at least once a month. If you have kids, I reckon this would be an awesome project for them to help out with.
Cards Plus: This is another easy way to impact a life. It's as simple as writing an encouraging or celebratory card (i.e. birthday, get well, encouragement, etc.) to a soldier who needs it.
Adopt a Soldier: If you want to do something even more, you can adopt a soldier and commit to sending one letter/card each week and a care package at least once a month. As of right now, there are 727 soldiers waiting to be adopted, so we can see that they are in need of people who are willing to help out.
So those are just a few ways to get involved, but there are so many more! I actually think I will do the Angel Bakers. It just takes a bit of money for supplies and maybe an hour of my time a month. To think that I can provide a soldier with joy and hope just by baking some cookies is awesome! I'd like to challenge you, if you're interested, to look into some of these projects and commit to one that interests you.
I'd like to end with a testimony of one of the soldiers:
...It is from many people like yourselves that we make it through rough times. Every snack, book, or card sent to us brightens up our day and lets many of us know that people still care. These packages and especially the cards from elementary children lift our spirits higher than the sky. Even though we are thousands of miles away from home, the warmth of the heart is felt upon arrival of these packages. I take great pride in knowing that I help defend a country in which many people like yourselves are still warmhearted and caring. I know now why I do this: for my country, for my home, and all the people in it. May the blessings of a thousand angels sing upon your lives. Thank you. - SPC James

2 comments:
This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing it. I think I like the baking idea as well. I can get my boys to help! ;o)
Happy New Year to you.
Great post, Tara!! What an awesome organization!!
Here's another cool non-profit helping soldiers stay connected with their loved ones.
www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com
And luv the new look of your blog and new name! Hope you're having a great week! : )
Post a Comment