14 May 2009

Uncertainty

I'm finding that choosing a major for college is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in my short life so far. I thought I had it all figured out and I was good to go, but I'm starting to re-think some of my choices. I just can't seem to figure out what exactly I want to do. I'm finding that I have dreams of being something or having a specific career, but I let negative thoughts race into my mind. Thoughts such as, "I can't do that!" "I don't have the right personality or skills for that!" "How do I even get there?" Can anyone else relate to this? 


Now, I know that in Christ I can do anything and He is the one that directs me and gives me the needed strength to accomplish things, but sometimes I just feel inadequate. And I believe that's natural...it's human nature. If it was my choice, I'd go out and get paid to travel the world. That's really all I want to do. Immerse myself in other cultures, hear peoples' stories, find a way to help them, and maybe write a bit while I'm at it. I just don't know how to get there. I don't know what "specific major" would get me there. Does it really even matter what I get a degree in? American culture says, "to be successful, you just gotta have the paper." 

I've really been struggling with this decision. I'm so desperate that I just took two online tests on "how to choose the right major." Is that ridiculous? Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places. I'm just afraid of not making the best decision. I guess this is a post of uncertainty, confusion, questions.... Usually I like to write to challenge and encourage others, but right now I just gotta let out what I'm feeling in hopes that soon I can figure it out. I don't even know if all of this is making sense. My mind has become boggled lately and my creativity has been thrown on the shelf. I hope to get it back soon.

4 comments:

Richard said...

paid to travel the world and be immersed in cultures? what about international relations, with a minor in non-profit management? you could even go graduate level or seminary level after that... or you should just use your degree and newfound knowledge to travel the world for Christ, in a smarter and more effective manner.

as far as inadequacy, you are one of the most uber-awesome people I know... you're smart, talented, fun to be around, loving, caring, and inspiring. don't listen to whatever is inside of you, telling you where you fall short.

heck, where you fall short is a chance for God to show His strength!

good luck... I know God's gonna do amazing things through ya!

SHALLWEPARTY said...

dude the more i hear you out on all this the more i'm convinced you need to forget about school for now. all i'm feeling is the word "TIMING"!!
and though there may be something you end up taking eventually i just can't help but think.. don't rush it.
you're so young.. there is absolutely no hurry. you're the one who has the ultimate say and if you don't want to be in a box don't put yourself in one.
post secondary education isn't the be all end all.
i'm not dissing it in any way i'm just saying if it's right it's right.. you shouldn't be putting up this big of a battle with it. turn off the other voices and listen to your heart. i think you know what it's saying..
Just trust yourself, then you'll know how to live.

Richelle said...

first of all. and i quote.
American culture says "to be successful, you just gotta have the paper"

well look at america now...

sometimes you gotta just follow God.. no matter what anyone says. i know you know that.. but no where in the bible does "america" trump the big guy.

tara.. you are smart and you know whats right. just remember success isn't about money or a degree. I would think its more of a.. purpose thing.. search for Jesus.. not a major.

like i said.. i know you know all this.. but sometimes you just need a friend to spell it out for you haha. and i guess just remember that God does things the way He wants in order to get all the glory.

So in the words of Carrie Bradshaw (sex and the city movie)

"Its best to just, stop thinking about it so much, and go to bed, and in the morning-
(Mr. Big) "I'll know what to do"
(CB) "Exactly"

I would keep going.. the rest fits quite nicely.. but you can watch it yourself. hahaha. you love it.

shelly said...

i don't know if you remember him, but there was that famous photography guy that came and spoke at church once. the one who is friends with mel gibson. anywho, there was something he said that struck me and now it's become one of those quotes i carry with me in life. he said,

"you want to be creative? get to know the creator."

doesn't really help you pick a major, but i hope it helps in some way. :)