13 August 2008

Surely we can change.... something.

Today I took the time to get out in the fresh chilly air, get familiar with my surroundings and check out the neighborhood a bit. Let me tell you it was a refreshing time for my soul and I encourage you to do it once in awhile. :-)
Anyways, as I was walking, I really started to notice the houses in the area. Most of them are a bit older, very personal, and each one is so different and unique to each other. They reminded me of my grandma's house; your grandma's house; basically, a typical elderly person's home. A rundown home with a yard covered with grass and vegetation, surrounded by aged trees. The garages filled with years of memories and old junk that has nowhere else to go. The smell of wood burning in vintage fireplaces on this cold winter evening lingered in the air. As I was walking and pondering, as you do, I came to the realization that this is Australia. A lot of people define Australia as the Opera House, or the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or the land of kangaroos. And yes, this country is known for those famous landmarks and animals, but it's not just that. It is a real country with real people who have real issues going through this same real life we're all journeying through.
Now I'm the type of person that is constantly thinking about people. When I get some time to myself out in public, I love to people watch and ponder about life. So when I was walking this evening, I thought about all of the people living in these homes. And I thought, "What are they living for?" I desperately want them to know that there is so much more to life than just living and going through the motions. All of these people cooped up in their houses, having their traditional family dinner or eventful night of watching t.v. on this cold winter night have a Saviour who loves them, who wants to know them, and who wants to give them something so much more to live for. Yet they don't know it. Well most of them anyway. They don't understand who Jesus really is and can be in their life.
And I'm just a girl, walking outside their house.. hoping that someday... they will get it. Someday they will grasp how much God loves them and cares for them. And on this chilly winter evening, I pray. I pray that Jesus would reveal Himself to them, that He would let them know that He is the reason we can live and live free and that He would show them that there are people out there who actually care about them. And may He bless them.
Who is it that lives around you? Who lives next door to you? Or behind you who needs to know this truth? A lot more people than we actually realize.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm..... you aren't quite the same quite, little girl from the youth group; you are definitely growing up a ton while you are gone. what great thoughts and insights.

* on a NON-deep note it is weird to hear about winter.

Mom said...

Still Waters Run Deep.
That's what I think of when I think of you. The depth,concern and care you have for people has been there since you were a young girl. I remember when you and Nick were little, we were at Highland Bakery on Gilbert and University having lunch and there was a homeless man sitting on the street corner. You and Nick rushed to my purse and took out $50 (our grocery money:} and wanted to give it to him. We went inside and bought him lunch and a drink,you gave it to him and you were so proud. On another note, Halley should be arriving there soon, hope you guys have an awesome time!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

i love the images you paint with your words. you have a way of making it simple so my little mind can grasp it, but you also portray the depth of feeling behind what you're saying. love it.