25 March 2009

Earth Hour


This Saturday March 28th at 8:30pm, I encourage you to turn off your lights for an hour. Weird encouragement? Yes. But for a good cause? Yes. I partook in this last year while I was living in Australia and it was incredible! I lit a candle, sat in my room, and just relaxed, talked to God, and meditated. It's an awesome way to drown out everything going on and just spend some time alone or with God, all the while, helping the planet. Also knowing that people around the world are doing the same thing at the same time is so cool! Some people say, "Why would I do that? Is it really going to do anything?" I want to ask you, "Why wouldn't you do it? It's only for an hour!" Let's do it...wherever in the world you are, turn off all your lights and go sit on your porch, or your balcony, or your patio. Take in a night of silence and darkness. Together we can make a difference. Sign up here!

P.S. I love that it started in Sydney :)

6 comments:

Richard said...

I'm down, though I don't know how exactly it will play out. Is it the 26th or 28th?

Tara K said...

Oops thanks for catching that! the 28th!!

Romi said...

This is such an AWESOME idea!!! Count me in! Leave it to the Aussies to come up with this...I expect no less from them!! : ) Thanks for sharing it, Tara!

Romi said...

I found a great link about many of the places and landmarks that are going to go dark! Man, if the Vegas strip is gonna do it, then there's no reason we can't! : ) http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/236/flick-your-switch-off-for-earth-hour.html

Jared Ulrich said...

I just got done doing this and it was pretty stinkin' cool! Thanks for posting this and inviting us to join with millions of people around the world in darkness. It was refreshing and also served as a great reminder to be conscious of the energy that we waste.

Tara K said...

That's awesome Jared! Glad you partook in it. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to do it this year... :( I ended up being out to dinner... although I made sure all my lights at home were off, so I still did somewhat.