17 March 2009

You're the God of this City

I spent 10 hours today at an exhibit called "World Vision AIDS Experience" down at the ASU West campus in Glendale. It is an interactive exhibit that allows participants to walk in the footsteps of a child affected by AIDS. We have a Hoops of Hope booth there so I had to "man" the table today. It was a long but blessed experience! What hit me about today though, was actually the drive home...

I have never realized how big of a city Phoenix is nor how many hurting and broken people there are in this city until today. As I took my long journey home on the I-17 through the I-10 and finishing on the 202, I was almost brought to tears. The reality that this city is consumed with lost and hurting people hit me, as my eyes were dazzled by the city lights, the many signs off the freeway, and the several cars surrounding me. As I drove on the I-17, I had the thought that..... at that very moment, there were most likely murders happening, people shooting up with heroin, guys making drug deals, and women being beaten by their boyfriends. As I passed the exit sign for Van Buren Street, I thought of the many women selling themselves for sex. As I drove by downtown Tempe, I thought of the college students getting wasted and taking drugs, because they think that's what life is all about. I couldn't help but shut off the music and drive in silence as I reflected on these things. My mind then just kind of went numb. 

The reality is, we don't have to travel far to see there are needs in peoples' lives. There are broken people literally living among us. As I drove on the freeway, I couldn't visibly "see" these things happening, but I could feel it. It was almost tangible. As I drove, I could sense the brokenness and danger in that area. I actually felt uptight. It was weird. I felt like I was driving in a different world, because as soon as I reached the 202 near Gilbert Rd, I almost felt relieved. I felt "safe." I don't know if that's because it's "home" or it just really is safer there.

It was so cool to see a different part of Arizona. I am hardly ever out in the West Valley, so to see all the city lights fascinated me! Even though Phoenix isn't as cool as, say, Sydney, it was still awesome to see. :) I find myself attracted to the city..... to the brokenness. Tonight made me realize how safe I live my life. I mean, the majority of my time is actually spent at a church. The only thing outside of church I experience is a few hours of classes per week. I need to get out and see the world! See Arizona! See the real people that live in this real city who have real life issues! We need to remember that there is hopelessness, brokenness, and hurting right outside our doorstep. Sometimes we just refuse to see it. But it's our responsibility to show love. To BE love. To bring hope. To shed God's light. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this. Beautiful, honest writing. Challenging. Real. Thanks.