03 March 2009

What a Wonderful Maker

One thing I can tell you that I like about Arizona are the sunsets. I just got back from a walk out in the neighbourhood. I don't do this often, as I find it hard to find the motivation or the time, but something about the cloudy day made me want to be outside. So I went. 

Anyways, so I had my tunes on, walking along, saying Hi to any other walkers/joggers and I had this thought... about how many things distract us from meeting with God. Specifically, technology. I mean.... I was listening to worship songs and reflecting on God through that, but what does that do if I'm not actually engaging with Him? It's like if you're in a relationship with someone, you don't just sit and listen to songs that remind you of them. You engage with each other and have a conversation. 

So I took out my ipod and it was a complete change of "scenery." Spiritual scenery. It was just the sound of my footsteps, some distant laughs from kids in their backyard, and a few engines from cars passing by. When there's no technology to distract you, you can really feel God's presence. It was like I was breathing in His presence and it was the most refreshing breaths I've had in awhile. Suddenly, the sunset creeped around some houses and nearly blinded me. At that moment I was in awe. Isn't it funny that there is a sunset every single night, but we hardly recognize them because we're off doing other things? I know I acknowledge it about once a week, not even. I was captivated by this beautiful sunset. I literally wanted to run towards it. (I dont know what I would've done once I got to it) :) 

But then I had the thought... wow, if this is just a reflection of God, I cannot even begin to imagine nor comprehend seeing Him in His true, majestic form. I literally didn't want it to go away. I just wanted to keep walking out there with the breeze sweeping across my face, the smell of the blossoming flowers, and the never ending joy that each person I walked by contained. It felt like a perfect moment. A "kodak moment." A moment where I wish time had frozen. But that's just it. Life goes on. And we get a brand new sunset the next day and the next and we get these glimpses of God preparing us for His magnificent glory we will one day see. Can you wait?

                       This picture wasn't from tonight's sunset, but it still captures the beauty of each one.

7 comments:

Matt Bowker said...

That's an unexpectedly profound way to end my day. Thanks.

Tara K said...

:) Which Matt are you? Sorry.. I know a few

Cassie said...

I miss those AZ sunsets.... thanks for your profound thoughts tara!

Matt Bowker said...

Sound guy matt

Richard said...

There is a french book called Le Petit Prince in which the "little prince" encounters a man who lives on a tiny planet, and constantly is moving his chair to see another sunset.

I think sunsets give us a sense of completion.

And the whole conversation with God thing... have you ever listened to music because you were afraid of the silence, of what you knew was coming? When I'm not right with God, I hate silence, and yet I crave it. It's crazy.

Good post!

Richelle said...

hmm very interesting. its all totally true though. yesterday the sunset here was so beautiful and I was thinking I NEVER watch the sunset! wouldn't it be so sweet if everyday we could just watch the sunrise and set? like put it in our diary? haha. it does really put God in perspective hey? how He creates is beyond me.. but I love it :)

and the music/techno thing is dead on. hearing the world do its thing is so funny. its like profound when thats all you have. no comp. no phone. no ipod. just you and J.. very scary haha. good stuff tara.. keep it comin. your writing is really challenging.. i need more of this in my life!

Romi said...

Wonderful post, Tara and thanks for digging deep and always sharing your keen insight and observations!! It always gets me thinking...sunrises and sunsets are such tangible reminders of God's constancy, rhythm, and fluidity in our lives. Those two points of the day should serve as "chill" times to stop life for a moment and just breathe God in, ya know.

And I agree that technology is a mixed bag of blessings. More often than not (at least for me) it proves a distraction from time with God. The other day while driving, I couldn't handle the music and turned it off! Ahhh...the silence & the connection with God was great! So why don't I create more of that? And I realized because I'm such a create of habit, I'm the one that turns on all these techno distractions that keeps me distanced from Him. But just as much as I have the power to turn them on, likewise I have the power to turn them off. It's just I don't think of that because distractions have become so habiutal. So now I'm challenging myself to go on a "distraction diet" so I can become more spiritually fit! (okay, maybe that sounds a li'l goofy! But I think it just might work for me! ; ) lol)