16 July 2009

Drum Experiment

The best thing I can do to better my musical skills is to experiment with different styles of music. So...that's what I'm going to do. I have decided that, each month, I am going to learn a different song on drums. I will practice the song and at the end of each month, I will videotape myself playing the song and post it here on my blog. 


Here's the thing... I want you to choose the songs. (any style) I could quite easily pick out songs, but I know I might not pick ones that could be most challenging to me. I know, for sure, that if someone else challenges me to learn a song, I'm more apt to work harder and learn it. I remember a few years ago, I was asked by my youth worship leader to learn "Best of You" by Foo Fighters. It was a pretty challenging song for me at that time and I was a little bit nervous. What made it worse was one of the other pastors (who will go unnamed, but he probably knows who he is :)) said "I don't think she'll be able to learn that. We might need to get one of the guy drummers to play." Okay, that got me ticked! I was so determined to prove him wrong, so I worked my butt off to get the song down. And I did. And I gave my best. And my pastor was shocked in a good way.

My point is, I want songs that will really challenge my drumming so that I can move forward and progress. I've gone too long being content with just learning worship songs. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing worship music. But if I want to become more creative and give my best, I need to work harder and experiment with new styles. 

So, here we go. I have no idea what song ideas are going to come my way. I don't know how this is going to work, but I'm willing to try it out and I'm pretty excited. So.. month #1-August, let's go, send me your songs!

6 comments:

Matt Bowker said...

Project 86: Pipe Dream, off their self titled album.

Matt Bowker said...

Better yet- Stein's Theme

Jeremy said...

I'm officially requesting a song with double bass. Let me know if you need me to pick one out for you.

Richard said...

either Chaos, Reset, Typical, or Noticed by Mute Math... in that order of preference.

RuthWalks said...

love the pic... hahahahahaha.

Landon said...

Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - particularly the drum solo.