15 July 2009

Faith Like a Child

A 4-year old boy prayed over my meal tonight and it was one of the best prayers I've ever heard. My friend, Halley, and I went to Chik-Fil-A for some dinner after serving at Vacation Bible School at our church. She saw one of the pre-school boys she knows from Sunday school and we said Hi to him. After I had just received my meal, he came over to talk to us and show off his cool new cow toy. His parents were right there with him and they asked if he wanted to pray for our meal. With an overly excited spirit, he said, "Ya!" It was pure joy for me to see this little boy get so thrilled to pray for a meal. He started out in his cute little voice, "Thank you God (which sounded like Dod), for eating dinner. Thank you 'Dod' for going to church" Then he took a long pause as he tried to figure out what to say next. Finally... "Thank you 'Dod' for this day. Thank you in Jesus name, Amen." I was overwhelmed. And I'll tell you, my dinner was glorious. (not that Chik-Fil-A never is, but this time, it really hit the spot b/c of this boys' prayer) 

There is nothing like hearing a child talk to God. This four year old boy has caused me to examine my own life. He has shown me what it's like to have faith like a child. The problem is, as an adult, it's so easy to go through the motions and get caught up in the details in life. But Jesus clearly states that if we do not accept Him like a child does, we will not enter His kingdom. 
(Mark 10:13-16)


There is more to learn from 4 year olds than we realize. Next time you're around a child, just watch them. Watch how they get excited about the simplest things. Soak in all that they have to offer and I guarantee you'll look at life a bit simpler. :)

1 comment:

shelly said...

such a good reminder to come before the Lord as a child...in simplicity, in honest prayer, as we are. mmmmm...thanks.