07 November 2008

26 Days...

So last year when I first started on this blog, I wrote a journal entry about being 26 days away from leaving the USA to go to Australia. I am now 26 days away from leaving Australia and coming home for good, so I thought I would blog about it. 


Wow. I honestly am blown away by how fast this year has gone by. I cannot believe that in less than 4 weeks, my life here in Australia is over. It has been, by far, the most incredible, eye opening, life impacting, and personal growing time of my life so far. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's really hit me yet that I'm actually leaving this place. I haven't been very emotional about it...not as much as I thought I would by now, at least. But I realize that within 2 weeks, I'm sure it will become a reality and I will turn into an emotional wreck. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to come home, but I'm also so sad to leave all the people I've met here. Also, being a part of this church has opened my eyes to a whole new side of things. I also understand church and ministry so much more now. I'm just excited to get back and 'get started on life' and put into practice what I've learned here. This experience will always be a memory that lingers within me for the rest of my life. 

I would write/expand on all of this more but I'm getting things ready for Hoops of Hope. The event is tomorrow!! I'm nervous/excited/anxious for it. There are five people shooting, including me, and a few people helping out. We've decided to make the event a BBQ deal where people can come, buy a hot dog and drink, donate to the cause, and cheer on the shooters. I'm hoping that plenty of students will stop by throughout the day. There is a park right near our house with one basketball hoop, but we brought in another hoop that we borrowed from the church. I had three of my guy friends carry the sucker form church to our house (about a 10 min walk) at 9:30pm tonight. They did a great job, by the way. Anyways, a suspicious passerby stopped and said, "What are you doing?" in a pretty rude way. I explained that we were doing an event the next day and we were just carrying the hoop from the church. I'm pretty sure she thought we were stealing it. Ha! I was a bit frustrated and put off by her impolite skepticism, but I guess you can't blame her. It did look a bit weird... Anyways, I would appreciate your prayers tomorrow for this event. I will add pics and a recap of the event sometime this weekend.

Thanks for reading! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

We can't believe how fast it's gone either. It seems like yesterday when you were walking down that runway and I wondered how it could possibly be that for the next year you would be living halfway around the world. At times I wondered if we were crazy to not only let you go, but to encourage you! But I also know we would have been crazy to not let you go. You have grown so much and we feel blessed to have been able to give you this opportunity. AUS will be a sweet memory and you've made some wonderful friends from all over the world. Relish the time you have left and focus on the wonderful memories you'll have to carry you through. We love you...