Our Italy stop consisted of a stay on Jesolo Beach (across from Venice), a day in Venice, and a lunch stop in Verona.
In Italy, I learned:
- Fortunately, there are no pay machines to enter the bathroom, but it's common courtesy to tip the bathroom cleaner. Point being...you still have to pay to use the toilet! Argh
- Venice is sinking
- Italy has amazing pizza and gelato

- There are no bikes or cars in Venice
- As a result of no cars, people visit the grocery store every day because it's too heavy to walk with groceries if bought in bulk
- The architecture/buildings in Venice were not built with the intention of protection from enemies. Their source of protection is the water that surrounds the city
- The prison of Venice was held in the basement of the Doge's Palace (basically the 'White House' of Venice)
- Gondola rides aren't that exciting, but it's something you have to do when visiting

- Wine is cheap
- They use bidets. (at least our hotel had them) If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it.
- The ability to bargain is a common misconception. We were told we can barter in the market, but when I suggested a two for one on necklaces the lady responded very bluntly, "no discounts."
- Touching the right breast of Juliet's statue (from Romeo & Juliet) supposedly brings good luck for men and a good husband for women

Next stop...Switzerland

5 comments:
1. I thought Pizza was invented in the U.S.
2. Beer-Lemonade AND wine? Wow :-P. What kind of wine did you get?
3. Bidet's scare me. I'd prefer not to be hosed down, thank you :-P.
4. So feeling up a statue's booby gives guys good luck and girls good husbands? Makes sense.
I had a Spritz. Half wine, half lemonade this time :)
probably better than beer lemonade.
we have to test the theory... did you touch juliet's breast?
No I didn't touch it. :( There were way too many people around!
Post a Comment