Well, I just got back from my 15 day trip to Europe. I don't know how to share my experience from the past two weeks, so I'm going to post individual blogs about what I learned in each country. I did this in my journal throughout the trip so that I could share with you some fun, interesting, and surprising facts about each city. Let's begin...
In Amsterdam, I learned:
- Prostitution is completely legal. There is an area called the Red Light District where woman 'set up shop.' They stand under red lights in windows along the streets and alleys. Each woman has an emergency button in their rooms in case they're in trouble.
- The reason for the red light is because women look best under them.
- Houses are taxed by the width and length of the building so residents build vertically. You will never see a wide house.
- The men stare. Even when you're completely clothed and revealing nothing.
- Weed is legal. Coffee shops are not your typical Starbucks. They are basically weed shops.
- Some people live in old house boats on the canal.
- There are tens of thousands of bikes. Literally, everyone rides a bike.
- You have to ask for your bill when dining out or you'll sit there for an hour. This is not fun when you're in a small, boring sports pub.
- Houses are tilted with a hook on top to carry furniture up, since the houses are too narrow
- They drive on the correct....er right, side of the road.
- The pancakes are extremely thin. Even though Holland is known for their pancakes, I prefer good old thick American pancakes.
Amsterdam was definitely an interesting start to our journey. It gets better so stay tuned for some facts about Germany.

3 comments:
amazing! can't wait to read more about your trip!
wow! awesome trip Tara! I'm just not so sure about your dissatisfaction with dutch pancakes. I'm not sure you understand how good they are. See the "good ol' American" pancakes are just so bland tasting.. but take a dutch thin pancake put some butter, sugar, cinnamon sugar, icing sugar, and syrup on top. basically put enough sugar to kill you in one intake. Thats how you eat a dutch pancake.
but other than that sounds like you had a great time! and I can't wait to hear more.
word.
haha thanks Kev. I'm sorry I didn't see it like you do. I guess I just didn't put enough sugar on it. Next time, I'll have a better attitude about it. Thanks for your input :)
Post a Comment