30 May 2008

Coming back to the heart of worship

Life has been kind of crazy lately. Break is over, so that means it's back to school. Only three weeks of classes left, then we get ready for Hillsong Conference. Conference takes place the week of July 7-11th, then I'll be boarding a plane to the hot state of Arizona! In the mean time, I have to write two more songs, finish some assignments, and perform twice on the drums. Speaking of performing, I had a performance in one of my classes yesterday. A group of us played the song "Never Alone" by BarlowGirl. We had a full band. We were all pretty nervous, because we didn't get a whole lot of practice time in. Nonetheless, the performance went really well! It was the first time I got to play on a full kit with a full band. It was a blast! Everyone in the band did a fantastic job. The teacher pointed me out and told me that I have a lot of passion and energy, which really help push and make the song. It was really encouraging. I don't understand why I worry so much about these things, because they always end up going well...

I played at the Macarthur youth extension service again last night. It was good! The kids responded really well. It was pretty powerful. I'm starting to get to know some of the kids a little more. A lot of them ask if I'm American, because I have an "accent." Hah! One girl actually asked if I was British. I don't know where she got that from. Maybe I have my accents mixed up? Anyways, playing at this service reminds me of past times playing in the youth at Central. I miss it. I was just thinking about how summer camp is coming up in the next few weeks back home and I so wish I was there to be a part of it! I hope and pray that it is a powerful and life-changing week for the kids.

To be honest, I have kind of been unmotivated lately. About life, about church, about God. I hate to feel this way. I think I have just become burnt out; physically and spiritually. I really wasn't excited to play at youth this week. But once I got there and started playing and I saw the kids passionately worshipping God, I thought, how can I feel this way? What is not to be excited about? We have a God, who is with us every step of the way; a Saviour who brings us joy and life; and a Lord who wraps us in His infinite love. What's not to get motivated by that? I'm slowly being pulled out of this dry season that I'm in. So just pray for me with that. And if you are going through the same, I encourage you to remind yourself of who God is in your life.

Well, it's been a busy week and I'm exhausted. I'll take this Saturday to relax and rest up for the next few weeks ahead of me. I hope the heat in AZ is treating you all well. :)

No comments: