16 June 2008

God Of This City

You're the God of this city
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the light in this darkness
You're the hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are

There is no one like our God
There is no one like our God

Greater things have yet to come
Greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city


There is hope in this song. There is truth in the lyrics. There is a story behind this song that is amazing. There is a God behind this song that is even more amazing, who transcends all understanding. You hear a body of believers shout out these words at the top of their lungs and you get chills. You get shaken up. You can't help but sing this song with all your heart.
We all hope for more. We all believe there are greater things coming. We all want to be a part of something huge. And with God, we have that. He is moving and working across the globe in tremendous ways. I don't know if you see it, but I do. I see it in the mother who holds her child's hand. I see it in the father who sacrifices his time to be with his kids. I see it in Mother Theresa's followers who are continuing her work. I see it in people like Austin Gutwein who are making a difference for people in Africa. I see it in pastors like Phil and Lucinda Dooley who travel across the world to build churches. I see it in the man who prays with the homeless guy. I see it in the woman who paints an elderly woman's nails. I see it in the teenager who stands up for Jesus. I see it in high school students praying around their flag pole. I see it in celebrities like Mel Gibson who created "The Passion" taking a stand for Jesus Christ.... I can see cities being changed by the work of our Heavenly Father. This song isn't sung for one city. It's a song for every city; your city. It's a song for the gangs in the Bronx who are snorting cocaine and busting people up. It's a song for the homeless sleeping on the concrete in New York City. It's a song for the prostitutes in Bangkok and Amsterdam. It's for the drug addicts and alcoholics in Sydney. It's for the starved and abandoned children in Gulu. It's for the kid in Chicago being abused by his father. It's a song for young girls in Calcutta being forced into the sex trade. It's a song for the Israeli kid who cringes every time he hears a bomb outside his house. It's for the soldiers in Iraq who fear every time they have to use a machine gun. It's for you and I in Phoenix, in Vancouver, in Sydney, in London, in Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, in Oslo, in Jerusalem...wherever you are located. He is our God and we are His people. Greater things are coming. Let's keep that in mind. And we will look back and see the greater that came. Pray for your city. God answers prayers. And He uses people to make a change in this world. I pray that we may be passionate people, on fire for God. May His heart be our heart. The time is now to make a change in our worlds.


Sorry I was a bit inspired. :-)

2 comments:

Breanna said...

Definantly :D!!! 25 days!!! wooo hoo! getting everything done that you needed to get done?

love ya!

Breanna

Perry said...

Great post...thanks!